I don't know why but I have that song in my head. If I've learned anything from all my projects, it is that almost nothing turns out exactly like I picture it in my head. Case in point? My office chair.
My YELLOW office chair. That was supposed to be my ORANGE office chair, like this sweet vanity from Cassie's daughter's room.
I knew it was time to redo this chair when I heard an awful CRACK! followed by a THUD! one night. I ran into the office (this was in NY) to find hubby lying on the floor next to the top half of my chair. After I wiped my tears of laughter and caught my breath, I saw the damage done to the chair. The metal had come unwelded from the bottom and when the top of the chair cracked off it had made a huge gash in the seat and on one of the legs.
It used to be a pretty chair... originally purchased from Pier 1 about 8 years ago.
Hubby insisted on throwing it away, but I threw it in the garage knowing it could be fixed. After we moved back to TN I had my Pa weld the top and bottom back together. Just like new! It was time for a new coat of paint though. So over Spring Break I finally got to it.
At this point I was having serious doubts about whether the chair was worth all this trouble. But I kept on. There were a lot of nuts/bolts and screws for this chair, so I put them all in baggies with pictures so I would remember where to put them.
As I was using my Dremel to sand the whole thing down I heard a CRACK! followed by a CLINK! Are you starting to notice a pattern here? I looked down to find this:
SERIOUSLY?! Not happy!
After a few choice words I just kept on sanding. A few nights later I moved inside to paint the chair at the same time I was painting The Pink Lady. This is where the color issue became apparent.
I had bought a sample size of the sweetest little orange. I noticed a lot of red around the rim of the container (you can kind of see it in the picture). I think what happened is the red did not make it into the sample like it should have, hence the yellow, rather than orange color. Oh well. It'll match my cheap-o painting.
After the paint dried I moved it back out to the garage to glaze with my dark walnut Minwax and wipe on a coat of poly.
Here she is in her new home. It may not be the sweet orange I wanted, but it is tons better than the old wood.
I also got to update my chalkboard!! I was so anxious to update it I did it last week! =)
Linking to These Parties!!