I think I'm in love! I bought this antique nightstand a few weeks ago off Craigslist, and it was one of the many projects I've been working on this past week!
Here is the before:
One of the drawers was messed up, so I had to pry off the front so I could fix it.
I put gorilla glue on all the areas that would go together. Once the front was reattached to drawer I held it together with a clamp and nailed the side back on.
While I was working on it some creepy bug came running across the garage floor at me.
Note to creepy bugs - never come running at a chic holding a hammer. I smush now, ask questions later.
While I was cleaning out the inside I discovered this:
Apparently my "nightstand" used to be an old phonograph player that was converted into a nightstand. That made me love it even more!
Because it was so friggin cold, and I didn't have time to wait on the weather to clear up, I moved inside to paint after the hubby left for work.
I got caught! Oh well.
Here she is with one coat:
I wanted to do a harlequin pattern on top. I knew I couldn't free hand it, and I didn't have a stencil, so I did the next best thing. I cut out my own stencils with cardstock and my exacto knife. I love that stuff!
Once all the stencils were in place I rolled over the top with a coat of paint. I knew it would be a slightly different color - just enough so I could see the pattern to paint.
It worked brilliantly - except for one small glitch:
Yeah - girl genius here taped the stencils on. So naturally, the tape ripped off the paint. Awesome.
So I just painted over the holes.
I originally wanted to paint the other squares, but since these looked horrible now I had no choice but to paint them. I grabbed my purdy and got started filling in the squares.
Perfect? No way. Did I care? Not at all. I wanted this to look old and imperfect, so the uneven pattern worked for me.
After it dried overnight I went to town sanding everything down. I went over the edges very heavily, and I tried to really sand down the purple squares.
I forgot to mention, the purple squares were supposed to be dark pink. I added a little bit of black to my pink paint and somehow it ended up purple. Whatever. I went with it.
Here she is with a coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain. I used cheesecloth this time. This worked better for me than the t-shirt material.
Once it dried I put on satin wipe-on poly.
Here she is in her new home!
Here is a photo where you can kind of see the old nightstands we had. They were cute, but really chunky and not tall enough. The new nightstand is at the perfect height.
I bought an antique washstand for the hubby's new nightstand. I'll do a post on that later!
So here are all the angles of my new love!
Yeah, my handle is crooked. I don't care.
I love those sweet legs!!
One more before and after:
Linking to these parties!