I started this antique desk a MONTH ago and I finally finished it! LOL! It was grouped in with my massive load of ambitious projects over my Spring Break, and I just had to let it wait. The previous owners weren't sure exactly how old this is, but they think 1920's/1930's.
This is about the best I can do for a before shot. It was a gorgeous desk, just pretty beat up.
I don't know the color name because it isn't printed on the can, but it was a pretty yellow from Lowes. I flipped the desk over about half way through so I could get the inside and lower parts easier.
Similar to how I did The Pink Lady, I cut out a harlequin stencil from cardstock. This time, however, I used painter's tape to apply it to the desk, and I made an actual stencil rather than a bunch of diamonds.
In order to get the color I wanted I mixed a little paint from my $5 wall art and my yellow office chair.
I would then pull up my stencil and overlap the bottom diamond on the stencil with the uppermost diamond that I painted.
Here it is halfway finished:
Then all the way finished:
After the paint dried I distressed the crap out of the whole piece.
I wanted this desk to look old, dirty and beat up. Mission accomplished! It almost looks like it needs to be cleaned! LOL! I antiqued the desk with my Minwax Dark Walnut stain, then covered the desk with poly.
I'm undecided as to how I feel about the back and sides. I typically use darker colors so the stain isn't as pronounced. I wanted the desk to look old and worn, but I'm not sure that I'm in love with how the big blank spots look. I guess the back will probably be up against a wall anyway.
I adore the hardware!
I love the little chunky legs too!
I like the subdued look of the harlequin pattern and how it looks worn.
I'm going to put this baby on Craigslist once the poly completely cures.. keeping my fingers crossed! =)
I hope everyone has a 'hoppy' Easter weekend! ;)