Image Map

Monday, July 18, 2011

Pink Pedestal Bowl


Occasionally I like to stop by my goodwill.  I don't really know why, they never have anything I want. But once in a blue moon I walk away with something exciting.

While browsing what I like to call "the wood section" I found this old bowl and candlestick.  I immediately thought of Kristi from The Speckled Dog.  I love how she turns crap into cute household objects, so I thought I'd give it a shot!

Here they are before:


First I removed the metal portion of the candlestick holder so the two pieces would adhere together nicely.  Then I gave the whole piece a good sanding.

I've discussed my phobia of old fabric before, so I had to remove the old nasty felt off the bottom.  When I went to peel the felt off I found this:


Do you see what I'm laughing at?  The original sticker price was 89 cents.  Guess who paid 99 cents?  I actually paid MORE than the original price.  Thanks for that one goodwill.

Anyways, after a good wipe-down I used Gorilla glue to glue the pieces together.  I used a very professional method to hold the pieces together while the glue dried.


I wiped off the excess glue you see in the picture before it dried.  It didn't take long to dry, then I put about a million coats of a light pink paint on it.

My cousin and his wife are expecting their first baby this fall and I'm helping my Mom with the baby shower.  I figured this would be super cute to hold some goodies.


I also love the lighting that comes in my kitchen window first thing in the morning (although I don't particularly like being up that early)!

This was a super cheap project - the candlestick and bowl cost around $3, and I used my free Valspar paint sample to paint!

Cheers!
Keeping It SimpleBoogieboard CottageDomestically SpeakingAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucketSomewhat Simple Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHSuzy's Artsy Craftsy SitcomPhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridaysfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgDesigner GardenThe DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 Main

22 comments:

  1. I love the speckled dog and I'm a huge fan of that project... I've done several and given them away as gifts and they are ALWAYS a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It turned out super cute! That is how my Goodwill tends to be too, I go from time to time but almost never get anything.I would say that pricing is typical too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably would have walked right by that little goodie at Goodwill, but you have turned it into something super cute! My Goodwill is pretty horrible and their furniture prices are outrageous, but I still regularly stop there just in case they have something amazing (they never do!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I probably would have walked right by that little goodie at Goodwill, but you have turned it into something super cute! My Goodwill is pretty horrible and their furniture prices are outrageous, but I still regularly stop there just in case they have something amazing (they never do!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your great "professional" tip with the paint can!!!! Made me literally laugh out loud. My daughter said to me, "What's so funny?" I just replied, "Nothing you would understand." lol Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this project. Once again showing something that you might overlook turning into something gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's perfect for the baby shower! I love cheap good finds :)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! It will be so fun for a baby shower, and I can envision so many other ways to use it! So clever and crafty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. very cute, love it! That's hilarious you paid more than it originally was, haha, that's Goodwill for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice!!!!
    but I wonder : is it stabil ?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and love Goodwill also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is so cute. I really love the color, too. Great find and great re-make!

    Cheers,
    Tracy Screaming Sardine

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOL -- you still got a good deal on the candlestick! Love how you put these two pieces together and the color is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This turned out fabulous! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party! I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute project!! I love this!! I am visiting from Sew Chatty and I am a new follower! Hope you have a great day and I look forward to seeing you around soon!
    Michelle
    www.delicateconstruction.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Turned out fabulous! Thanks for linking up again this week : )

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did find treasures. Love what you did with them. Amazing what some paint can do -- added to creativity, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Katie!
    Love this pedestal bowl! I can't believe what it looked like before! Thanks so much for sharing it at the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. pretty fabuloso! Come check out my pedestal bowl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am such a sucker for pedestal bowls, love it!

    (That's super funny about the price of the candlestick too!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out beautiful!!
    Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!! I would love it if you joined me again tomorrow! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! The pink is so sweet! It did make me laugh that you paid 10 cents more than the original price :)

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! And thanks for linking back to my party too :)

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!