Image Map

Friday, July 15, 2011

Easy Peasy Harry Potter Shirt!


Did YOU go see Harry Potter this weekend?! I went to the first show today and I loved it! Of course it was an epic final movie, but so sad because now there are no more Harry Potters! =(

I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan, so naturally when I'm browsing through linky parties I always look at posts that mention HP.  I literally think my jaw dropped when I saw this:


Kacey from Stay At Home Mom has an AWESOME TUTORIAL on how to use freezer paper to make a t-shirt stencil! You can visit her for a more detailed how-to, but here is a smiplified version!

Let me preface this by saying I thought wax paper and freezer paper were the same thing. Umm, yeah.  They're not.  Almost 3 hours later I found this out.  So unfortunately I didn't have my t-shirt ready in time to wear to the show today. Boo.

I started by googling 'Harry Potter spells'.  I wanted to do something cool like Kacey did, but I just couldn't decide what spell to do.  Next I googled 'Harry Potter shirts' and found a design I liked.  Then I downloaded Harry Potter fonts from here.  I used the Parry Hotter font in size 72.  Here's my template.


I placed my freezer paper on top sticky side down then traced the outline with my sharpie.  I put slanted lines in the portions that I needed to cut out but place back on the t-shirt.  That way I wouldn't accidently throw them away.


Next is the most time consuming part.  Use your exacto knife to cut out the stencil.  Now you're ready to iron it on your shirt.


Iron on the main stencil first, then come back and iron on the little pieces you had to cut out (like Harry Potter's face and the circles inside the "O" and "E").

Paint away!  I probably applied about 8 thin coats.  Here it is with one coat.


Before the last coat of paint dries peel off your stencil then let your shirt dry!

Mine most definately isn't perfect.  The paint bled under the stencil in a few spots, but I expected this.  I probably should have put on a thin coat then let it dry for at least 30 minutes before applying another coat, but I'm super impatient.



All the photos make my shirt look red - it's actually hot pink.

This was incredibly cheap to make.

Shirt from Michaels - $2.00 (right now they're on sale, 5/$10)
Fabric paint - $3.00 with my 40% off coupon

Just FYI, Michael's shirts run small.  I always wear a small, but this thing is kinda tight.  I probably should have gotten a medium.

Also, if you didn't know it, you can get a Michael's app on your smart-phone! What?! You can download coupons directly to your phone! Heck yes!

Cheers!
Keeping It SimpleBoogieboard CottageDomestically SpeakingAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucketSomewhat Simple Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHSuzy's Artsy Craftsy SitcomPhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridaysfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgDesigner GardenThe DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 Main

9 comments:

  1. Katie! It turned out AWESOME. Your little Harry is so darn cute. Thanks for the shout out. :) Hooray for HP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I might have cried at the end of movie. It's all over! But I love these shirts! Great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Must see the movie really soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it's so cute, Katie! My son would love one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it!! We love HP in our house. I will have to make for myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. love it!!! where did you find your Harry Potter guy?

    ReplyDelete
  7. donirenee83@yahoo.comOctober 7, 2012 at 8:06 PM

    where did you find the little wizard??? im trying to make cute shirts for when we head to orlando!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!