Image Map

Sunday, March 10, 2013

CREATE - Inspired Art!

 
I am FINALLY done with my inspired art!!  I mentioned a few weeks ago that I have been dying to do my own version of this design that I saw on The Pleated Poppy.  After I finished my neutral wreath last weekend I finally sat down to paint.
 
I used two pieces of wood just like my thread holder and pushed them together.  I used metal brackets on the back to hold the two pieces together.  You could just as easily buy a sheet of plywood and have it cut to size (this would probably be cheaper) but I just used what I had lying around!Eventually this will be hanging above our bed in the bedroom.
 
My project differs from the original in that I painted on wood instead of canvas.  I'm just a sucker for warm wood tones and bright pops of color!
 
This beast took FOREVER to complete - partly due to my ADHD and my general slowness.  Totally worth the end product though!
 
Progress shots taken with my iPhone:
 
 
And now, feast your eyes on some eye candy, cause there's a TON!
 








Side note: These adorable ceramic egg crates are at World Market for only $4.99!!
 

 
Cheers!!

 UndertheTableandDreamingI Heart Nap TimeSew ChattyPhotobucket

28 comments:

  1. i LOVE that, katie! so colorful and fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO awesome.....I love it!!! This would be adorbs in my daughters room :) Thanks for the inspiration! Pinning!
    xoxo,
    Brooke @ Design Stash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brooke!! This would look amazing in a little one's room! It's such a versatile project too!

      Delete
  3. Looks very nice - you have a lot of patience with drawing and painting.
    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way this turned out! So colorful and fun. (I especially like how you left some open spaces in the design.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Lindsey! Thanks again for the awesome tutorial!

      Delete
  6. I love all the colours. So bright and fun!! Did you use the Martha Stewart stencil to trace first? (I love that stencil!) You did a great job.
    I would love for you to come visit me at http://blessedlifeatopacakestand.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kathryn! I didn't even know Martha Stewart had a stencil like that! I traced it out using a ruler and a cup just like Lindsey's tutorial.

      Delete
  7. Hello Katie,
    I really love your artwork. The colors on the wood look cheerful and warm and I think you have a beautiful object in your home to look at and to talk about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I love the bright pops of color against the wood! I'm so excited to have this finished finally!

      Delete
  8. Ooh, pretty! nice job :). And how adorable is that ceramic egg carton?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE it Katie!! You are one patient person;-)
    beautiful colour choices and it all works perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fun, I love it on the wood too! I have some wood already all glued and nailed together that would perfect for this! Thanks for the extra inspiration (I've loved Lindsey's forever!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have admired the original over at Pleated Poppy. Yours is super-cool too. I agree -- bright colors on the natural wood is a great combination.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Far out, this is gorgeous! Great job!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily!! I'm in love with this piece! Definitely going to have to make some more!

      Delete
  13. Sooooo pretty-haven't seen this before and adore it! The colors are perfect for spring and cheer up your craft space. Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks very nice! I love it .. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I love it! The colors are great! Maybe a new look for my sideboard... :D

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE this! Also, seriously love your blog name. Clicked over from Skinny Meg's blog because your button was hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello from Alabama!! I went last night and bought everything to make this project! I love it. Thanks for the great idea. I will link back to you when I post it! I am off to see what other cute things you have come up with. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robbie! I can't wait to see how your art turns out! I'm sure it will look awesome! This is such a fun project!

      Delete
  18. Love your work !! I have never painted on wood before. How did you prep the wood before painting on it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. what was the radius of your circles?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for this nice sharing. Great post.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!