So, ever since I saw this awesome tutorial from Mandi @ Vintage Revivals I've been wanting to do an acid mirror. I've seen them popping up and I love how they look!
A few months back I found an awesome ginormous mirror at an estate sale for $10. Yes, please!
Here is how it looked before:
I busted out my paint remover and got started on the back.
Yeah, this is where things went terribly wrong. I seriously think I used about 5-6 coats of paint remover in total. While trying to remove the back, I cracked the mirror. Awesome! The brand you see pictured really didn't do much for me so I went and bought a heavy duty paint remover. It worked a little better but still didn't get all the back off. Oh well!
While I was going through that ordeal I worked on painting the frame. First I sanded, then primed, then painted it white.
After it dried I went over it with my Valspar antiquing glaze. I love how it makes the detail pop. I left it on pretty heavy.
After I removed as much of the back as I could I poured the acid straight on the back. At first I didn't think it was working. I sprayed it off with my hose and it had not changed at all, so I poured on some more acid. I let it sit for about 5-10 minutes then checked it again. It had worked more than I wanted it to. Dang! Oh well!
I let it dry outside then cut my fabric to size. I used my Elmer's spray glue to adhere the fabric to the back of the mirror. Somehow during all of this another crack formed off the first crack I made. Good thing I'm not the superstitious type! I got it all set up and hung on the wall and now I love it!
You can really see the cracks in this photo:
Here is a photo with just the lamps on - I love the ambience!
Here is a close-up of the frame and acid mirror - it is REAL hard to photograph a mirror. There is always something reflecting in it and it distorts the image!
I've been wanting to do a project to go above the bed for a long time, so I'm glad to have it finished! I love it!!