Image Map

Sunday, March 4, 2012

My Pseudo Mantel!



Our house doesn't have a fireplace, therefore no mantel.  We do, however, have this little nook that sits up high in our living room.  This little space has become my "pseudomantel."  Pseudo - that's one of my favorite science words! :)

If you walk in through our front door, this is what you see:


I've been working on this little nook for over a year now.  It all started with a trip to an antique store in Columbia.  I literally stumbled over this $5 chair and brought it home with me.  I threw it up in this nook on a whim - eh, it was ok but I wasn't in love.

That chair is now a beautiful blue color and it hangs out on my front porch.

Back to the pseudomantel.  You can see the progression here:


Occasionally I venture back to Columbia for an afternoon of picking.  I found these two windows one day for $10.


I gave them a good cleaning and a new coat of white paint.  Once they were dry I hung them up in the pseudomantel and they sat there, waiting for me to finish decorating.

I finally couldn't stand it anymore and went on a walk yesterday with the hubby.  We walked all around our neighborhood and I found a pair of old sticks.


I love these boots!  They were my Mom's when she was younger and they don't fit her anymore.  I would totally wear these if they didn't cut off the circulation in my feet.  My Mom is a petite lady.  The shoe inserts are my late grandfather's.

I need to find something to put underneath the boots so they have a little height.  That way you can see them better when you're looking at them from ground height.

I made the fabric banner last night too.  It reminds me of spring and I love it!  I can easily switch this out for different holidays.


I love the natural feel of the sticks and the brightness of the chair and windows!  Now I love my little pseudomantel!

Here are a few more peeks!




I designed this space with items I have acquired over the last year, so I guess technically it was a free makeover!

Have a happy week!

Cheers!
Domestically SpeakingPhotobucketPhotobucket HookingupwithHoHfreckled laundryUndertheTableandDreamingSew ChattyPhotobucket

27 comments:

  1. You don't need a mantel Katie. You found a perfect little decorating spot. It fun and fresh, love those boots!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! Fresh and funky! Love the boots so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very unique! I really like the window frames. We don't have a mantel OR a psuedo-mantel, so I'm jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is adorable and so springy! i love the one pink flag in the bunting- it adds a great whimsical touch!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute--I love the unexpected place to find a chair :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How about some curled up rope as a base to your boots? Love your out of the box decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! The colors really pop, and I like what you did with the chair. The overall setup is so pretty! We don't have a fireplace either, but I think that's due to having like 2 days of winter. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so cute up there!! I really like it! Love the pretty chair, the windows, {Cute flags} and the boots! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. your bunting on the windows is adorable. it just finishes off the look perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so cute! I love your projects! I love being able to scrounge and find great finds like your windows and chair. I cannot wait to replicate them in some way once I have a home that has more room for my fun ideas. Thanks for sharing the creative and antique-y projects that you do. I love following the things that you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE the chair and those windows are so shabby and cute:) Love the boots! It all looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your "mantel" I use shelves as my faux mantel--like your option better!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Way cool! I love it all! I can see those branches decorated for different holidays. Nook is the new mantle :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your pseudomantel! So creative, bright, and fun.
    I'm a new follower, Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love that you used the cowboy boots! Stopping by from transformation thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love love love the boots!!! It's neat that you have something that has a piece of family history too. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks great - love that banner and the little blue chair! A fabulous free makeover! Thanks for linking up!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the way it looks- who needs a mantel- I think my favorite part is the boots! What a creative way to display something that is so pretty but can't be worn!
    I would love it if you would link up to my brand new party- Scout's Sweet Sundays!
    http://www.xstitchandcrafts.blogspot.com/2012/03/scouts-sweet-sundays-linky-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. haha first... I love the name craptastic! so funny

    Also though, I love the boots! They are a perfect touch for the area to make it fresh and fun ( although I am rather partial to window frames like that lol)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your "mantel"!! It is so fun and spring like! Great Job!!

    Ivy

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your use of this space is fabulous and the display you put together so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mother had a similar space in her last place, she hung a tree branch and had several {fake} birds that she'd inherited from her mother. When I was visiting one day she asked if I'd hang the birds from the branch. I tried to make some look like they were sitting on the branch, those that looked like they were in flight were naturally dangling. She loved it. I like how you've done your pseudomantel!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Featured you! Come see!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!