Image Map

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Big Blue Birdie Love


I hope you all are enjoying your weekend! It is H*O*T here! It hit 98 degrees yesterday while I was out antiquing!  Summer is offensive to multiple senses - you practically melt when you're outside, but then you freeze to death when you're inside!  You smell like BO outdoors only to come in and smell like a wet dog.  Don't worry, I do take showers! ;)

Anywho! I've had this sweet little birdie resting on my living room dresser for awhile now.  I bought it from Hobby Lobby last year to go on my old purple dresser.  But now I have a completely different style chevron dresser.  So little birdie needed an update!

Here she is before (Yes, it's a she.  I checked). 


I used my free Valspar sample, Bayside.  Here she is after three coats.


I coated her with a sloppy layer of Valspar antiquing glaze.  I just used a foam brush then threw it away afterwards.



I had a moderately damp rag that I wiped over the entire bird after the glaze was applied.  I didn't want the glaze to be too overpowering, so I wiped off the glaze immediately before it could dry on too much.  I just left it in all the natural details.


"Nothing going on here - just a birdie hanging out on the porch!"


Isn't she so sweet?


This wouldn't be a Katie post without a blurry close-up!


Now she's sitting on the "new" table I bought at an antique store yesterday! What? Yes, I bought a refinished piece. It was weird, but I adore it on my back porch!


Doesn't she look so sweet with the yellow and white?  Don't you mind that green wall in the background.  I'm thinking ahead.  In a few years I'll be in a new house with new wall colors.  Things may just look weird around here for awhile! ;)

Here's a sneak peek at a faboo makeover I finished this weekend! You'll get to see the full reveal next weekend!


38 comments:

  1. So cute, I would totally use that in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with birds. A lot. This one is too stinkin' cute! I'm stopping in from Nifty Thrifty Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cute! I have a similar birdie that I've been wanting to paint. I love the turquoise color you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very very cute! I heart bird decor.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so adorable and bright and cheery too! I love your little bluebird!
    Stopping by from DIY

    ReplyDelete
  6. Total cuteness! I've been eyeing a pair of some birdies on etsy. Perhaps I'll get around to purchasing them! If someone hasn't beat me to them already...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your little birdie.:) He's happy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet little birdie. I bet 'she' feels much better after her makeover ;)

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute transformation! I love her in her new colors... all ready for summer, adorable! Thanks for sharing. Dropping in from Masterpiece Monday. Happy Monday to you.~Poppy

    http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for linking up! I always look forward to what you have! : )

    www.cherishedbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the new colour of her! sweet sweet birdie, I can't believe her previous colour. Found you via Cherished Bliss link up party <3

    Dita

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the sneak peak! I just picked-up a 1930's wardrobe (garbage picking) and I'm looking at that colour for it.

    Yumm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your bird turned out beautiful. Thank you so much for linking up to More The Merrier Monday. I can't wait to see what you come up with next week.

    http://diyhshp.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a happy little birdie...love the new color. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the birdie in teal! The antiquing glaze really makes the wings and feathers pop, too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love this bird!!!! I am on the hunt for a bird or two for my bathroom........maybe I will be lucky and find something as cute.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sweeeeeet little treasure! You did a fabulous job with making her look all vintage and adorable. :) Nice job!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  18. I hope he doesn't fly away in his new "paint"- I would love it if you shared this with Workshop Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  19. So cute! I love the color you used. Your description of summer was perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Grear redo, love the color! Can't have too many birds.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a lovely blog you got here! Cute birdie..sweet redo:) Great colours too! Hope to see you on my blog:)
    Sanghamitra.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So sweet... I'd love for you to share this at my link party. Love it!

    thirtysixthavenue.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute idea. I can't wait to see your next makeover next Monday!!! I love green. :)

    Thanks for sharing at the Weekend Warrior.

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. The birdie is so cute! I also love the pink pot behind it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So stinkin cute. I have been wanting a bird for my bedroom makeover and cant find the right one. I need to paint and glaze one like you. Thank you so much for sharing and for sharing the glazing technique. I found you through a linky party! Come and say hi, enter my giveaway and vote for my picture. Thank you.

    A mommy's life...with a touch of YELLOW
    tyandwhitneyulrich.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love the bird! Found you on A Glimpse Inside! I too, have a minor obsession with birds and birdcages, this is such a great idea!

    -Your newest follower, Lindsey @ I'd Rather Be Crafting

    ReplyDelete
  27. From the name of your blog to that pretty tea blue, love it all.

    Would love to see you link up at my new party that will run through Sunday!

    http://bacontimewiththehungryhypo.blogspot.com/2011/06/party-mindie-style-link-up-1.html

    ReplyDelete
  28. Could you tell me where you got the Valspar antiquing glaze and if it just came like that or you had to add color or something else to it. I have been looking for something like that forever and have yet to find the right one! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey Brooke - I got the antiquing glaze from Lowe's. Valspar is their paint brand. I just painted the glaze directly on - however they do have a clear mixing glaze you can mix it with to make it more thin. You can mix any color you want with the clear mixing glaze! Hope it helps!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Very cute! Much better in this new color! Thanks for linking it up to this week's Catch a Glimpse party!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's a great color. Thanks for stopping by to add this to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday party!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for linking up to Bacon Time. For the first party it was a huge success with over 300 links. I am going to have a special give away next week just for linkers. Thanks for grabbing the button too!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love your new little blue birdie. It would match our master bedroom we are working on! Thank you so much for linking up last week at Sew Woodsy! We look forward to your future contributions to our weekly link party!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!