Image Map

Monday, May 30, 2011

Summer in Tennessee?


I'm pretty sure it feels like Summer here in Tennessee.  But who am I kidding - it's only in the 90's, and it's not ridiculously humid yet.  Yep, still Spring.

Sooooooo - I'm kinda ADD - and I got tired of looking at my Spring wreath, even though it's still Spring! ;)

So I made a summer wreath, even though it's not Summer!  That's how I roll!

I started with the same wreath form as I did for my Spring wreath - $2.95 @ Joann Fabric!  I decided to coat this wreath in burlap.  I think it is $2.99/yard @ Joann Fabric, so I bought one yard just to make sure I would have enough.  I had almost half left over.

Get your wreath, about 6 2-2 1/2 inch strips of burlap, and one smaller strip of burlap for the tie.


I saw a nifty trick for neatly cutting burlap from Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co.  Locate a string at the width you want to cut your burlap.  Make a small cut on that string then pull it up.


Now just gently work the string out of the fabric.  Don't force it - if you do it will break the string.  As you gently pull on the string the fabric will bunch up. 


When the fabric bunches up like the picture above, gently pull the fabric above the bunch (the top part of the picture).  This will straighten out the fabric and remove the string.

You will be left with small spaces where the string was.  Now you can have evenly cut strips of burlap!


After I cut the strips out I pulled off a string from each side of the strip.  This makes it look more ruffled. Plus you can save the strings and use them for other projects (I used them on my Littles' Goodie Baskets).



I wanted to do this wreath fairly fast.  Even faster than hot glue.  So I used nails! =)  I bought a HUGE box of nails a long time ago - I use them for every thing.

I positioned the strip where I wanted it and put two nails in it.  Make sure the nails are on the under/backside where they won't be seen.


Wrap your strip around until it ends, then lay your next strip on top of it.  Put in two more nails (again, make sure they won't be seen) then continue until you have wrapped your entire wreath.


Now you can decorate it any way you want!


I love bright colors, so I used all the colors of the rainbow again.  I made a ton of rosettes in various sizes and color.  I played around with the location until they looked how I wanted them to.  I placed a few of them on the wreath using nails just to secure them.  I hot glued the rest of them.


I wrapped some of the fabric up in burlap to make a different design.


Then I ripped the "H" off my Spring wreath and glued it on this one!


Here it all is together...


I used the small burlap strip to make a small tie to hang off the hanger.

I love this one even more than the last one! And it doesn't shed! I am going to store the other wreath for next year!



Cheers!!

Thumbnail image for 05-29-2011 Party Timemommahenscoop


28 comments:

  1. adorable! love the fun colors! and it is hot and humid here, too... so i think a summer wreath is just fine. and memorial day is the unofficial start to the summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just thinking this past weekend that it might be time for a change to summer on my front door too! Your wreath is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!!! I love rosettes and I love burlap!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a bright and happy summer wreath! Love all things burlap and I'm so glad the little string pulling tip worked for you. So much better than trying to cut a straight line. Thanks so much for the shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very pretty. I love all the happy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this! This is definetely one of my favorite wreaths that i've seen! Great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am loving this wreath! It turned out so cute. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. love it! I like the little rolly things above the flowers, cute little detail!

    ReplyDelete
  9. last year i made a wreath that i saw in a magazine once covered in flowers and moss. the darn thing cost me nearly $60 (because of all the flowers I needed) and it didn't even last me the spring! the moss kept falling off - which looked bad and now realize was a waste of money. This however looks inexpensive, sturdier, and cuter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the colors! Found you at the Swing into Spring party, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE this wreath! I'm your newest follower and would love if you linked up at Sew Woodsy today!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! IT is so cheerful! Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is so nice! I really like the look of burlap-I'm going to have to incorporate some into my decor soon.. .

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! I might just have to make one of those. If it makes you feel any better I always get bored and end up decorating for the next season a few weeks early. :)

    I think what you have so far looks great! If it makes you feel any better I've already lost one basil plant this year and my other is looking super sad. :( I have a major snail problem in my backyard and we've had way too much rain this spring. Hopefully I can get my garden looking better soon.

    Thanks for sharing over at Weekend Warrior.

    Anna
    www.askannamoseley.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your wreath! The burlap looks gorgeous and the flowers are just the pop to bring it all to life! We're hot AND humid here in Virginia so it's probably on your way in Tennessee soon - just sayin. Thanks for sharing this over at Show & Tell. Oh, and I "followed" your blog.

    Mary @ Redo 101

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! It is just too cute! I can't wait to try to make one myself. I've got some burlap coffee bags (in not so good shape) that I've been wanting to do something with.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute Katie!! Love the colors you used! Thanks for linking up this week! :) I'll be featuring this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your wreath--looks so pretty on your door!

    ReplyDelete
  19. so stinkin cute! I love the embellishments on the side especially...great job!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!! :)

    PS - I got the bag in the mail this week...and I LOVE IT! I'll be writing up a "thank you" post soon!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Soooo Cute! Love, Love, Love!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This turned out SO cute!!
    Thank you so much for linking this up with {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  22. Very cute! I love the fabric flowers. I have been wanting to do something like this, but with yarn instead of burlap wrapping the wreath form.

    ReplyDelete
  23. So cue Katie~ I love the little pop of color in the flowers too! Thanks for linking up to FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your wreath turned out so well! I love the burlap and fun colors. I just got home from visiting family in Murfreesboro, TN. The weather was great, but the cicadas were not!!! :)
    I became your newest follower. Come visit me sometime - vintagemellie.blogspot.com.

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your wreath was featured on my blog! : )

    www.cherishedbliss.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. so adorable!!! love the bright colors. great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!