Image Map

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Hi. My name is Katie. I'm a blanket-aholic.


Yeah, I'm one of those folks.  Rainy days?  Bring it.  All I need is a pair of sweat pants and my cuddly blankets. 

I decided I wanted a more grown up looking blanket - ya know, cause pink giraffe is very mature - so I figured I'd make a quick tute for those of you who want to make one of these awesome blankets but don't know how.

They're incredibly easy, fairly fast to make, and make great gifts.

Pick out two fleece fabrics.  I always do a pattern on top and a solid on bottom, but you can do whatever your little heart desires. This blanket is 2 yards long.  I usually do 2 1/2 yards because I like mine huge - but they only had 2 yards left in the gray and that's what I wanted.  Obviously you can make them bigger or smaller according to your needs.


Lay down the solid piece of fleece with the softest side facing the floor.  On a side note, don't wash your fleece before you begin - I did that the first time I ever made one of these and it didn't turn out well. Wash it when you're finished!


Then lay down the printed fleece with the softest side up.

****DISCLAIMER - DON'T CUT DIRECTLY ON YOUR CARPET***

Trust me - you'll be left with a strange pattern on your floor that you have to strategically stand on while your apartment gets inspected. Ahem.

Anywho, using your cutting board underneath, cut off the excess edges with your fabric rotary cutter.  You know me, I just eyeball it.  Just cut off as little as possible so you can maximize your fabric.

Now cut off all four corners.  I cut five squares x five squares on my board.


Now you're ready to cut your strips.  I don't measure every single strip (this would take an eternity) but they vary in width from about 1 - 1 1/2 squares width.  I cut them about five squares deep to match the depth of the corner square I cut.


As I'm cutting I flip every other strip up.  This will make it easier to tie the strips later on and it helps me eyeball how straight my line is.


Now you tie!  I start at the corner strip and tie every other strip.  I always tie two knots.  Make sure you don't tie the first knot too tight - if you do the fabric will all bunch together and your blanket will end up small and round (this happened on my first blanket).


Then just go back around and tie the rest of the stips!

Viola! You're done - it probably took me about an hour at the most.


These blankets go EVERYWHERE with me!


I get mad when people touch my blanket.


Because it's mine!!


Sooooo comfy and soft! Having two layers of fleece really makes these warm in the winter!

Oh, and remember that chair in the first photo?  You'll see that again looking very different - it's a child size! So precious!


I tried to take some cute photos of the blanket on my porch since the inside lighting was so dark - the porch lighting was even worse.

BUT, I can show you my pretty plants!!

 (I actually bought this table like that! Shocker, I know - I paid less for it already refinished than I would have paid for one to fix up.  It was a great deal).



Cheers!!

Keeping It SimpleBoogieboard CottageDomestically SpeakingAnything RelatedTuesday To Do PartyPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucketSomewhat Simple Catch a Glimpse ButtonTransformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHSuzy's Artsy Craftsy SitcomPhotobucketFurniture Feature Fridaysfreckled laundryThe Shabby Nestbutton+FTF.jpgDesigner GardenThe DIY Show OffUndertheTableandDreamingPhotobucketPhotobucket36th Avenue504 Main

31 comments:

  1. Genius! I love it! Thanks for sharing...I could actually make one of these! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a blanket-holic, too...mine goes everywhere with me as well! I haven't made one of these blankets in so long, might have to try my hand at it again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These blankets are so fun and comfy! It's always my go to gift for baby shower's! Thanks for sharing.

    Myblissequalsthis.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks warm and snuggly, very cute! i love your little plant stand!!

    :) julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful blanket and such a great tutorial! I learned so much and want to make one of these for me! So happy you shared your blanket at Sisters of the Wild West!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love these blankies! Yours is super cute! I laughed out loud when you said you get mad when someone touches your blanket...I'm the same way! I am your newest follower and would love it if you would stop by and check out my blog and become my newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, that is SUPER cute! Looks SO snuggly too! Great tutorial, you make it looks totally easy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made one of these for my first child and he's 7 now :( This post brought back a lot of memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So pretty and cuddly! I would love it if you would link up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now: http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/06/tuesday-confessional-link-party.html. I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the pint print! Although I've never made one of these blankets, they look so easy to make and super comfy. My chihuahua Holly loves fleece blankets so much I had to buy her one for her bed so she wouldn't insist on sleeping on my bed. She'd love one of your blankets too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always so impressed with you Katie. Gorgeous as usual. I wish I could sew. I guess I'll just bake instead:) Thanks for linkin up

    xoxo Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the fabric you used. Pink is my favorite color, and I would love to have a blanket like that for myself. I found your blog at the "Inspired By You Wednesdays" party. Your plants are beautiful, as well as your plant stand. I wish I could keep my potted plants alive. Ha ha...I always forget to water them. Poor things.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everybody could use one of these for the three year old inside all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm visiting from Inspiration Friday. I have always wanted to see how those blankets were made. That's easy and cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is hilarious about cutting the carpet Katie!! I've sure had some of those moments in my sewing adventures. :-) I think that pink/gray combo is just so cute and I've never known how to make one of these. Can't wait to try it myself and was thinking it is something even my son could help me with! Thanks for sharing it at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much for linking this up to {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    Hope to see more of your creativity tonight! :)
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super cute Katie~ I love your sweet little blanket!! Thanks for sharing it at FNF :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi so recently i got a blanket like this to make for my sister. I guess i accidentally missed a step. If i didnt cut off the corners and it didnt come out squared how can i fix it?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi so recently i got a blanket like this to make for my sister. I guess i accidentally missed a step. If i didnt cut off the corners and it didnt come out squared how can i fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Zayn! I've had a few blankets turn out more round than squared, but this was because I tied the ties too tight. My only suggestion would be to try to lay out your blanket and cut the corners out. I don't think you would have to untie the entire blanket to do this! Good luck!

      Delete
  20. Thank you. I loved this. And you completely cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank You for sharing, I just made my first tie blanket for my daughter as a Valentines present:)

    ReplyDelete
  22. How much fabric would I need to make a queen size

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi, how do you wash these? I've had one for a year now and want to wash it but am afraid to stretch it out.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Weighted blankets are special kinds of blankets that provide therapeutic advantages on familycookware.page.tl.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blankets are full of non toxic business grade homo natural grade polypellets. Weighted blankets aren't used primarily to generate heat or keep warm. Get more information about best weighted blankets on this link.

    ReplyDelete
  26. looking for a fleece blanket that plays bedtime music!?!?
    a friend gave my son a small blue fleece blankets with a 3d bears head in the middle, inside the bears head is a battery operated musical thing i want to get my baby girl a pink 1 if there's anymore about & i was wondering if there was any that played music for a little bit longer

    dos anyone know where i can find another? please help this cant be the only 1

    ReplyDelete
  27. What is the difference between a duvet cover and a bedspread or a bed throws?
    I am looking for a duvet cover to buy but then I saw that the company had the same exact design for a bedspread. I really can't understand the difference! Any help?

    ReplyDelete
  28. We have a hardworking team that puts efforts to bring comfort & cloud-like softness to your sleeping space. Our Mattress pads are built to give your current mattress a really fluffy, plush texture. You can buy small double mattress protector.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you for sharing this. Your products are mind-blowing. Also visit my web page: https://theminkyblanket.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!