Image Map

Saturday, March 19, 2011

EPIC Chalkboard Calender!


If you guessed that I was making a chalkboard out of my epic Craigslist find you were right!  But there's a twist to this one!  It's magnetic too!!

I started by priming the frame with two bottles of Krylon white primer.


I then used two bottles of Krylon white semi-gloss for the color.


I did all of this in my garage - I needed to lift it up off the ground, so I propped it up on two paint buckets.

While I was painting the frame began to grow fur.


I thought the frame was completely clean when I started spray painting, but obviously not.  I grabbed my Purdy brush (which was the closest thing to me) and brushed vigorously over the whole frame after it was dry.  This got the majority of the fuzz off.  I just kept painting and rubbed the rest off a few days later.  It's nice and smooth now!


In order to have chalkboard and magnetic capabilities, I decided to spray paint chalkboard paint onto a sheet of metal.  I ran to Lowes and found a 2x3 sheet of metal.  I honestly didn't know what size I needed, so I just grabbed the one that looked closest.  Much to my satisfaction, it was a perfect fit!


Before I put on the chalkboard paint I sanded the sheet of metal with my dremel sander.


 I was in a HUGE rush so I only have one photo of the metal sanded.  You can see it on the ground here.


I then used the last of my Krylon primer to prime the metal before putting on the chalkboard spray paint.

I had to hunt all over the universe for chalkboard spray paint.  I finally found some Krylon spray paint.  I put on two coats.


 Here she is with a coat of chalkboard spray paint ready to have the calander drawn on. 

  I wanted to make sure it looked ok with the chalkboard paint. I loved it!  I left it for one week before I began any work on the calender.




In order to do the calender I had to make as precise of a measurement as I could.  I wanted the calender template centered, but I didn't want it to take up the entire center of the frame.

So I made a very professional sketch and wrote down my measurements.


After I had marked the edge of the template and made a notch every 2.6" I traced it out in pencil.


I then used an acrylic paint pen (which is awesome) and my ruler to paint on the lines. 



I began with the vertical lines.


Then horizontal.


I never read instructions, so fortunately for me I had read on other blogs that you have to rub over the entire chalkboard surface with chalk before you write on it.  Otherwise it will permanently imprint whatever you write in it.


I went ahead and drew on my calender info for March and stuck it into the frame to make sure the size would work.  Perfect!


I thought about putting a sheet of wood behind the metal to make it more sturdy, but I found that simply placing screws every few inches behind the sheet of metal held it in place fine.


Once I felt like the sheet of metal was secure I got ready to hang it on the wall.  I wasn't taking any more chances with pseudo home invaders so I put THREE anchors in the wall!  This bad boy isn't budging!

Worked like a charm!  This frame is heavy and cumbersome, so I probably should have waited for the hubby to get home and help - but you know how that goes.  I wanted it done NOW! It was worth a potential broken bone!


The little silver pieces are magnets.  Eventually I'll probably make some cute rosette magnets.  But for now it's really not a necessity!


My initial thought was to make magnets numbered 1-31, then make a magnetic header for each month.  That way it would be easy to switch the calender around each month.  But I knew it probably wouldn't turn out like the vision I had, and it's just as easy (and fun) to re-do the calender with chalk each month.

I love it! Hope you do too! Enjoy all the views!




 You can really see the imperfections of the frame in this photo.  Unless you're really up close investigating it they're not terribly obvious.





Now I just need to work on my chalk caligraphy skills!

*****EDIT*****

I've been playing with my chalk!  Chalk caligraphy is getting a little better! I'm ready for April!



Cheers!!

Linking up to the April 2011 DIY Project Party monthly contest!!


64 comments:

  1. This is fabulous! What a great idea! and I LOVE the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  2. look at you, miss crafty pants.
    LOL. or should I say miss calendar pants.
    beautiful and functional.
    xo Jeanne.
    http://beeskneesbungalow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This chalkboard looks fantastic! The frame is absolutely gorgeous!

    Jodie

    www.lovelaughteranddecor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok that is totally EPIC! I love it. Thanks for joining my newbie party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!! What a great idea, and that frame is fabulous!! Came over from Debbie's newbie party, Martina

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that turned out great! I love the look of your little nook! I found you at Debbiedoo's and am now a follower.

    Melanie
    youmadethat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's adorable! So functional and pretty! Great job, Katie! I love your entire crafty area! :)

    Happy Spring!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing. What a great find. Thank you for linking up to More The Merrier.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I saw your link at Debbie's Party. I love your chalkboard calendar. I have a chalkboard in my kitchen, but I can't make it magnetic. Yours looks perfect in your office/craft area.
    Jane
    http://cottageatthecrossroads.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome project!! I love acrylic paint pens too!
    I'm here from Debbie's party, and I'm also your newest follower!!
    xxDaniella

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great project. I love it. I found you over at Debbie's party. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful project! Here from Debbiedoos. One of you newest followers. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That is beautiful! Love the frame. So clever. Just found you via Debbie's party. I'm your newest follower and would be delighted to have you follow me back!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  14. hiya visiting from debbis newbie party x this project is fantastic loe the tutorial too very easy and detailed , i need one of these now !!! x tfs hope to see youat mine soon x
    xmaggie

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great idea! It's practical and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. so creative! love it! thanks a million for linking up w/ us! happy monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic (& original) idea! I've been thinking about using some chalkboard paint, but didn't even consider using it on a sheet of metal. Thanks for sharing, ~Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your creative idea! I invite you to link to my great blog bash K.I.S.S. Happy to be a new follower too :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea! It's so impressive.

    I am now your newest follower!
    Dee

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is fabulous!- - great idea!
    I'm your newest follower! ~Amy
    http://amy-showalter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Epic is most def the right word for this chalkboard calendar! This is adorable! Well done.

    Stopping by via Debbiedoos Blog. I love love love the idea of a newbie blog hop, so fantastic.

    I wanted to make sure to come and give you a very warm welcome to the blogsphere and let you know we are having lots of fun over on my blog and you are invited!

    There are so many FUN things happening over on Dandelion Wishes!!!
    We are .....
    *Taking Back Monday, one Etsy giveaway at a time. Come enter to win something awesome EVERY Monday!
    *Airing our dirty little secrets with Friday Confessional. Confess, link up, feel better...I promise!
    *Keeping it positive every weekend with My Happy List. What's on YOUR Happy List this week? Post and link up...its a party y'all!
    *Every month we give a prompt for a VLOG..yep, turn the volume up, we are talking video posts people!
    *And there are crownings happening for Queen for the Day...finally, the royal recognition you deserve.

    See something for everyone…come say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is such a great project! Thanks for letting us know how it's done! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  23. The teacher in me loves chalkboards! And the organizer in me loves calendars. So.... I think this project is brilliant! And your frame transformation is fabulous! What a creative visit!
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh my word! The most beautiful chalkboard ever. I have an ornate antique picture very similar, it is absolutely turning into a chalkboard now! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a fantastic idea, so practical but yet so beautiful, love it!
    hugs
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  26. That's beautiful! That frame was a GREAT find!

    ReplyDelete
  27. So glad you stopped by and shared this awesome project at my Swing into Spring party.

    ReplyDelete
  28. This is AWESOME! Very cool idea for a brilliant find! :-)

    Erika from Bliss Images and Beyond

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow! That is way too cute! Love the magnetic idea. I chose you for a Stylish Blogger Award. :) Click here to find out more.

    Gabby

    ReplyDelete
  30. THis is so amazing! Great job and that frame is gorgeous! Thanks for linking up at my party")

    ReplyDelete
  31. Love it! That is the coolest way ever to keep up with everything! Thanks for linking up to Gettin' Krafty With It!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a super cute idea and I just LOVE that frame!

    ~Melissa
    http://mrandmrsfrugalface.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  33. This is such a fantastic idea. I am in love with that frame. I totally need one of these. Thanks so much for sharing and for linking up to the handamde hog:)

    xoox Hanna

    ReplyDelete
  34. Omg I love it!! I just found your blog through debbies linky party, I am now your newest follower! Come check me out if you get a chance.

    Noplacelikehomeally.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  35. If you love acrylic paint markers...you will fall in mad crazy love with chalk markers. {the stuff they use at cafes and what not}.

    your chalkboarding will never be the same.

    If you have a moment, I'd love for you to share this with my readers: Creative Juice Thursday @ Momnivore's Dilemma. Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I love the part about the fur! :) sounds like it was an easy fix, though! The calendar is super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hello! You are so creative and resourceful. I never imagined a frame could turn to a beautiful and useful black board.

    Thank you for sharing this. I also love browsing your blog. I hope we could develop a connection by following each others blogs.

    I wish you more wisdom and happiness to produce more wonderful crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  38. That looks great!! What a gorgeous frame!! I found you via Paisley Passions Thrilling Thursday link up!! Your newest follower
    Amy

    http://ourcrazybeautifulife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  39. I LoVE that frame! This is a great blog. I am your newest follower. Come and see what I do over at
    fineandhandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love it! I am super jealous of your great Craigslist find!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Another great project! I think I'll try this in my teenage daughter's room.Take care.

    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oooooh this IS epic!! The frame is gorgeous!!!!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"! :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've never seen a more beautiful chalkboard or calender! Thanks for linking this up the CIP party this week =)

    ReplyDelete
  44. This is FANTABULOUS Katie!! I LOVE it! That frame is so gorgeous and with a chalkboard and calendar~ so fantastic and beautiful! Thanks for sharing this at FNF!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Oh my goodness! Why can't I find cute stuff like that on Craigslist?? I love what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete
  46. This is AMAZING!! I would love for you to come link up at DIY Thrifty Thursday at www.thrifty101.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. It looks fantastic Katie! Awesome job and love the calendar! Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  48. I had no idea the scale of it until I saw it on the wall. That's huge! No wonder you said it was heavy. Turned out very sweet!
    -Bethanie

    ReplyDelete
  49. I've been wanting to do this in my mudroom...now I have a tutorial!! Cute blog!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Love this! I need to make one! (I also need an office like yours too!)

    Visiting From MammaHen's Whatever Wednesday!

    -Brooke

    ReplyDelete
  51. OMJealous. Thats all there is to it.

    Love your guts
    mandi

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hey girl! That looks absolutely "craptastic"ally :-) awesome! You have the knack for sure Katie and I always know you are going to share something fabulous with us at Inspiration Friday!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  53. I love that frame! I became your newest follower! I love your blog! :) Erin


    www.purplebookbloggingmommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  54. What a great frame and a super cool chalkboard!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday! Hope you can make it back this week {party opens wed. night @ 8pm CST}

    ReplyDelete
  56. I love this, so stinkin' creative!! Thank you for linking up to my K.I.S.S. blog bash last week. This weeks blog bash is in full swing again!! If you haven't already please be sure & link up more of your creativity, I look forward to seeing all your great ideas. :)

    Drop by The Tattered Tag

    ReplyDelete
  57. so clever! very creative! I love chalkboards.
    that frame is huge!
    gail

    ReplyDelete
  58. Very cute ! Thanks so much for linking this up to our Wicked Awesome Wednesday link party!

    ReplyDelete
  59. freakin LOVE that frame. Good and chunky. Awesome job Katie : )

    ReplyDelete
  60. Amazing what those details turn into when they're covered in white--nice job! Good luck with OMTWI!

    ReplyDelete
  61. That is gorgeous!! And craptastic! Thanks for auditioning for OMTWI!!

    ReplyDelete
  62. What a gorgeous frame and a great idea.
    good find
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  63. I love it. Great frame and very well done. If you are not too busy, please visit my blog at http://scrapidoodlelicious.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!