Image Map

Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Dwell In Possibility"


Almost an entire year ago I got a wooden wine crate from my Dad.  It sat in my garage since then while I tried to decide what to do with.  I was trying to think of something that was genius, but just couldn't think of anything.

Last weekend I was playing around with the decor in my new craft room and ran and grabbed this out of the garage.  I decided I just wanted to use it in its simplest form and make subway art.

Here is how I did it without vinyl:


1.  I started with the wood crate and painted it with some Glidden oops paint I scored at Home Depot for $2!  In gray no less!

2.  I searched and searched for a quote I liked, and found this one by Emily Dickinson.  I typed it in Word in "Impact" font, size 125.  I put my freezer paper directly onto my screen and traced with a sharpie.

3.  Next I put my ScotchBlue painter's tape directly over the letters and cut them out with my exacto knife.  Don't forget the little pieces you cut out of letters like "P" and "B."

4.  I VERY CAREFULLY peeled the painter's tape off the freezer paper and transferred it onto my box.

I didn't photograph this step, but I just used my finger and acrylic fuschia acrylic paint to paint in the blank spaces.  Then peel off the tape!

I gave it a good sanding with 220 grit sandpaper and it was done!



Also, I wanted to thank Morgan at Sweet Stitches for my coffee cozy!  She had a giveaway on her blog and I won! Yaay!




Now I have a good excuse to stop at Starbucks! I love it Morgan!! Thank you!

Cheers!
Domestically SpeakingPhotobucketmommahenscoopPhotobucket Transformation ThursdayHookingupwithHoHThe Shabby NestUndertheTableandDreaming

12 comments:

  1. that is so you and so cute! i love the saying and colors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like the cozy!! Mmmm...coffee sounds really good right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely - what a nice place to dwell! totally deserves a starbucks run! :)

    www.NorthernCottage.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the cozy I wanted!! Lol That sign turned out great. Love the pink- of course! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This came out so cool! I've done the freezer paper trick before and printed the mirror image onto the paper so after rubbing it onto the wood, it left the correct image. I then just painted inside the lines. Easier said than done! I love the pop of pink!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great quote and love the colors!! I've never tried the freezer paper thing, but I need to your's is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea to use the painter's tape to use instead of a stencil. I need to give this a try! Love your sign! I have a thing for them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. great saying!! i need to remember to dwell in possibility more often ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the quote, love the color, love the font! way to go!

    yes, i've run out of "crap"-py words... :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a great quote! And what a clever lettering technique!

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!