Image Map

Sunday, April 22, 2012

DIY Wood Buttons!


OH MY GOSH! How flipping cute are these things! Seriously, I could eat them up (although my stomach would not thank me, so I won't).

I have been wanting to make myself some adorable wood buttons for a LONG time, and when my father in law decided to uproot some of his plants I begged and pleaded with him (ok, I just asked him) to hold them for me.

He just kind of looked at me when I said I wanted to make buttons with them.  I smiled, and he saved me a plant!

Here is my victim:


This picture was taken after I brutally attacked it with my jigsaw and threw it in the woods like spoiled meat.

When I tell this story I make it seem like I got my plant and then got to work on it immediately. Ha. Umm, it may or may not have sat at the corner of our driveway for about three months, then sat under our porch for another month until the hubby threatened to throw it away.  I just wanted to make sure the wood was nice and dry! ;)

I finally attacked it this weekend at the same time I attacked my pallet.  Guess I was in a violent mood!

I took my jigsaw to it and cut off the branches to make them easier to work with.


It's probably a good idea to wear some sort of protective eyewear so dirt and debri don't fly into your eyes.  Not that I didn't or anything.

Once the pieces were more manageable I held onto them with a furniture clamp and cut away.  I squealed with delight as each new piece fell to the ground!

I gave them a light sanding and got ready to drill holes.  Here they are pre-drill.


I grabbed our drill and used the 1/16 drill bit to make the holes.  I put the wood pieces on top of an old corkboard I paint on so it wouldn't matter if I drilled through it.  Worked perfect.  About five minutes later I had these:


Freaking - adorable - wood- buttons!

I chose to not put any poly on mine.  Partly due to laziness, but mostly because I love the natural wood look.

I mean seriously, look how precious they are looking all buttony:


So there you have it folks.  Buttons.  For free.

Cheers!
Photobucket UndertheTableandDreamingSew ChattyPhotobucket

17 comments:

  1. Katie!
    You are so stinkin' clever and resourceful! What a great idea! How amazing! Never would have ever thought of that. You Rock.
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love these!!! What a wonderful idea, and so readily available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are so cute, katie! what a fun idea! and i may or may not have a piece of a tree sitting by my garage, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are so cute! Awesome idea! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to see what you do w/ these!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those buttons ARE freakin' adorable! No doubt!

    Here is my Made With Love Monday link-up: http://likemamalikedaughter.blogspot.com/2012/04/crafting-on-with-needle-and-thread.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love me some wooden buttons! : ) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are SOOO cool! Brilliant idea! I'm a new gfc follower!

    Barbara @ Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love these buttons...so creative and cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea! I found you from Fox Hollow Cottage and I LOVE the name of your blog!! I will be visiting more often

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea and excellent job cutting the tiny wood rolls! I would love to have them in a wool sweater or decorating a hat!! Beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Are you kidding me Katie! You made your own buttons? You should have been here when we wre cutting trees down last summer. I can't even imagine what you would have made! You are awesome girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ahhh these buttons are super cute - i love buttons and i've totally never thought of making my own! Great job :)

    I featured these on my blog:
    http://christinasadventures.com/2012/04/sunday-features-70.html

    And I pinned them too!
    http://pinterest.com/christinasadven/20-below-features/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great Idea, SO creative. Bythewayjenngray.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You know I love these buttons Katie! Just adorable!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  16. My grandson's school is having it's 3rd Heritage Days event. Do you think these would would to make whirlygigs? Thought it would be a great idea for a take-and-make item.

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!