Image Map

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Always Be Yourself, Unless...

 
A couple weeks ago I was browsing pinterest and found this image from society6.
 
Always be yourself. Unless you can be a unicorn, then always be a unicorn. Art Print
 
I turned to the hubby and told him this would be in our house.  It had to be!
 
Now I don't know about you guys, but when I think of unicorns I always think of Lisa Frank.  If I didn't have a trippy, rainbow unicorn folder when I was in 2nd grade, then what was the point of school?  This had to look like Lisa Frank came to my house and threw up on my walls!
 
I bought a pre-cut piece of MDF that was 2 x 4 feet.  Using a mixture of my acrylic paints, I set to work making a rainbow background that Lisa Frank would be proud of.

 
Pardon the crappy progress shots - I used my iPhone for these.
 
I worked very quickly with the paint ensuring that each row would still be slightly damp and allow for the next color to blend nicely.  It's easier to go ahead and pour out each color at once.  I just used a Styrofoam plate.
 
 
Here is the board after I completed the first rainbow row.
 
 
I wasn't too concerned about making each row of color perfectly even or straight.
 
 
I don't have photos of the next few steps, but I first took painter's tape and taped off 1 inch borders on the entire piece.
 
I purchased 3inch Helvetica font vinyl letters from Michaels.  I could have used one pack of letters but would have had to apply the letters, paint, remove and move to the next line.  I didn't want to have to do this so I bought five (yes, don't judge, they're reusable) packets of letters to ensure I would have enough to lay all the letters down at once.  I left two inches in between each row of letters.  Once the letters were laid out I went over the entire board twice with white paint.  I used my exacto knife and immediately peeled off all the vinyl letters and painters tape.
 
Viola!
 
 
I love how it turned out!  There was very minimal leakage of paint under the vinyl letters and it's only visible up close.
 
 
 
To make the unicorn I used this image:Hope to be using this today.  This is going to be the greatest project ever! :)
 
The original pin does not have a link, just the image is pinned so unfortunately I can't give credit to the original image!
 
I enlarged this image on my computer by 400%.  Then I laid out three rows of painter's tape on my clear quilting ruler.  I laid this down on my computer screen and was able to trace the outline of the unicorn onto the painters tape.  I peeled the painters tape off the ruler and placed it onto my board where I wanted it.  I then cut out the image using my exacto knife.
 
 
I made this painting to hang on a bare wall in between our coat closet and bedroom door.  I love how this looks against our black wall, so I may end up painting that wall black as well!
 
 
I decided to leave the border of this piece rainbow so it would stand out better against the wall.
 
 
So there you have it!  I think Lisa Frank would be proud!
 
 
Cheers!
UndertheTableandDreamingI Heart Nap TimeSew ChattyIt's Overflowing

12 comments:

  1. you are seriously so awesome! i LOVE this! i wish you lived close enough so you could make me one for emmy's room!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Katie, It'll definitely bring a smile to your face walking past that everyday! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im a bit of a fan of that quote as well, its so cheeky and fun. You have done such a great job painting it yourself I love the rainbow of colours it looks fantastic, great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Blog is big and there is a lot of good information! Thanks.
    https://blog.mindvalley.com/being-yourself/

    ReplyDelete
  5. ut視訊-色裸聊直播間
    ut視訊聊天室-能看啪啪福利的聊天室
    免費視訊聊天-免費可以看裸聊直播app
    uthome視訊聊天-裸聊免費網
    ut正妹視訊-色情真人秀網站
    色情視訊-免費語音視頻聊天室
    情色視訊-美女真人裸聊聊天室
    真人視訊美女直播-免費午夜秀視頻聊天室
    台灣色情視訊聊天-台灣情人視頻聊天室
    免費視訊秀-真人秀聊天室
    在線視頻語音聊天室寂寞交友富婆聊天室官網真人秀午夜聊天室快播A片電影日本隨機聊天視訊
    同城一夜情聊天室佳吻聊天室全裸美女視頻聊天校園春色激情小說av劇情片哈雷聊天 視訊
    視頻聊天網碧聊情系晚霞碧聊免費進入裸聊直播間韓國三級黃片電影淫蕩女護士快播後宮視訊
    台灣視訊聊天室破解情系晚霞聊天室玫瑰閣約炮網站書淫艷異錄AV色情電影後宮視訊網站
    視頻表演聊天室Sex激情聊天室六間房視頻美女一本道京東熱影院色淫情色網後宮視訊影音網

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a very nice content I am reading on your blog. It is so full of insight that I really think will help me in doing some findings about this topic nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really feels good to find an idea blog post such as this, nice articles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This particular artical is fabulous, and My spouse and I enjoy each of the performances that you have placed into this
    I’m sure that you will be making a really useful place. I have been additionally pleased. Good performance!
    regarded by:
    it solution in dubai

    it services companies in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your post is very interesting to me. Reading was so much fun. I think the reason reading is fun is because it is a post related to that I am interested in. Articles related to 메이저사이트순위 you are the best. I would like you to write a similar post about !
    sàesyry

    ReplyDelete

I love all your sweet comments! If you don't hear back from me, make sure your no-reply setting is disabled! I always write back!